Saturday, July 11, 2009

16 and Pregnant

So MTV has this show called 16 and Pregnant.
This is what they have on the website about this show:
MTV's 16 and Pregnant is an hour-long documentary series focusing on the controversial subject of teen pregnancy. Each episode follows a 5-7 month period in the life of a teenager as she navigates the bumpy terrain of adolescence, growing pains, rebellion, and coming of age; all while dealing with being pregnant.
Each story offers a unique look into the wide variety of challenges pregnant teen face: marriage, adoption, religion, gossip finances, rumors among the community, graduating high school, getting (or losing) a job. Faced with incredibly adult decisions, these girls are forced to sacrifice their teenage years and their high school experience. But there is an optimism among them; they have the dedication to make their lives work, and to do as they see fit to provide the best for their babies.
I'm not sure what the purpose is but I can't imagine what I would do if I were pregnant at 16. The thing I don't understand is why these little girls got pregnant it's pathetic that the parents are not involved enough to know their kid is having sex. I know parents want the best for their children but you have to be involved to provide them with the best. No one wants their child to have premarital sex they should save their virginity for the special one blah blah blah . . . but FYI it's going to happen whether you like it or not unless you educate your child and get involved as much as possible. Which brings me to my point we really need to focus on educating these young children about using protection or getting on some form of birth control.
It truly saddens me to know how many little girls are getting pregnant and being forced to grow up so quick. Obviously they made a choice to have sex with out protection, not using protection properly, and or being on some form of birth control. I'm not exactly an angel but I do know if I don't want to be pregnant then I take birth control religiously to prevent having a baby before I'm ready to become a mother. Lucky for me I'm a smart young women and made sure I paid attention in sex-ed and also took an awesome human sexuality class in college.
I do not accept any excuse such as I don't have insurance, I cant afford birth control, or I can't afford condoms because the nation is filled with so many resources to help girls with all of the above. There is a place called planned parenthood that helps people for free and it happens to be nation wide.
Although this show is ridiculous you must watch one episode.
I highly recommend episode #5 supersized version. OMG.

No comments:

Post a Comment